The STLSoft Showcase
STLSoft is a collection of libraries that provide:
- STL extensions, including new collection, container and iterator types, and new iterators and iterator adaptors
- Facades over operating-system and third-party library APIs
- Compiler/operating-system/feature discrimination facilities
- Low-level, high-performance components
Starting out as a research exercise, the libraries have accreted a degree of cruft - ugly/ill-conceived/unused components - that tend to disguise the many valuable facilities. A long-term effort is underway to correct this, expected to be complete with version 1.11. But in the mean-time, users of STLSoft 1.9 can learn to find and use many of the hidden jewels by attending this course, an example-based guide to getting started with STLSoft.
Attendees will be introduced to a selection of the best features from STLSoft as they follow along with the development of several small, but non-trivial, programs, solving real problems in the form of simple, expressive and robust programs.
LevelIntermediate. Assumes prior experience of C++.
StylePresentation. Audience members are encouraged to follow along if they wish.
Duration1 day: lecture + question & answer session
Introduction to STLSoft
- A (very) brief history
- File System
- Smart Pointer
- TMP (Template Meta-Programming)
- ... and others ...
- The Principle of Intersecting Conformance
- By Project:
- Working with STLSoft 1.10 alpha releases
stlsoft::integer_to_string()high-performance conversion functions
stlsoft::string_view<>string view class
stlsoft::truncation_cast<>cast operator and
stlsoft::unrecoverableunrecoverable exception class
platformstl::dl_call()shared object function invocator
unixstl::glob_sequencefilesystem search sequences
winstl::findfile_sequencefilesystem search sequence
- The Windows Registry components
- The String Access Shims
- The Properties components
- The Synchronisation components