FastFormat, Advanced (part 2 of 2)
FastFormat is the world's fastest, most robust and most flexible C++ formatting library. Incorporating it into your software systems will increase their reliability, and, depending on the application area, has the potential to significantly improve their performance.
This course is an example-based guide to getting started with FastFormat.
It builds on the material from the "FastFormat, Beginners" training course.
LevelIntermediate. Assumes prior experience of C++.
StylePresentation, with tutorial activities.
Duration2 days: lecture + tutorial work
Material Covered (for the 2-day variant of the course)
Brief refresher on assumed knowledge (covered in
- FastFormat.Format API
- FastFormat.Write API
- Format Bundles
Customising the FastFormat distribution
- Regenerating the application layer function templates
- Suppressing namespace
Reducing compile-time costs
- Suppressing inclusion of adaptors for third-party components
- Suppressing/Selecting parameter ranges
Understanding and Controlling Library Initialisation
- The FastFormat Initialisation Life-cycle
- Automatic Initialisation
- Manual Initialisation
- Suppressing/Forcing Automatic Initialisation
Adapting application types
- Custom Inserters
Defining efficient String Access Shims
- Avoiding the Heap
Format-specification Defect Handling
- Diagnostic Logging
- Custom Sinks
- High-performance Techniques
- Gotchas & Miscellaneous Valuable Facts
- Non-trivial Use case examples & implementations